Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Rules of Next Blog Poetry

I hit the "Next Blog" button up top.

I skim through the first post or two, and pull a phrase that jumps out at me. I copy it into a New Post here.
I hit the next blog button again, and repeat, and repeat.
I try to do this quickly, never spending more than 30 seconds at a given blog.
I have to use a phrase from each 'next blog' I hit.

Sometimes the poem starts to form itself quickly, sometimes it doesn't. I stop when I feel like I have enough.

Then I play around with the lines I have, rearranging them. I never edit a phrase--they have to stay 'as is,' but I can cut words from the beginning or end. Each phrase has to be its own line of the poem, so each line comes from a different 'next blog.' I try to pick one to be the title.

Why? I like that all the noise on the interwebs can be mixed together into something new, and that all these little self-involved, self-sustaining worlds can be in conversation with each other, without knowing it. Also, blogs can get to be a little much, and poetry can get to be a little much, so there's some fun in throwing them unceremoniously together. And I like collages.

3 comments: